Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Food

A few people have asked me about the food down in Haiti.  I should first and foremost tell everyone we have a couple servants who work the house.  For the most part, they are excellent cooks.  We usually have something different every night.  It's prepared for us when we get home from the office.  That being said, some of the food is unusual.  Don't get me wrong, it doesn't TASTE unusual.  Just how it's prepared.  And I'm not always able to identify the meat I am eating at any paticular meal.  And it isn't always cut to Western standards.  Rohan, our tech guy in the house informed me that most 'butchers' in Haiti don't have butchering equipment.  More often, the meat is cut (hacked) with a machete.  It often results in small shards of bone incorperated into the meat.  Tonights meal was paticularly boney.  It was as if an animal was sent through a wood chipper and then cooked afterwards.  It was tasty, but you definitely had to take your time.  There's also a lot of beets, usually mixed in with a salad.  I like salads, but I hate beets.

We have a very westernized grocery store we shop at called Giant.  They cater to Americans and Europeans who live down here.  The prices are not cheap.  There's also smaller markets and the street vendors. 

The drink that Haitians are known for is there rum.  I have not had any as of yet, but I'm told it's very good.  But it can give a killer hangover, something to do with the high sugar content.  It's apparently common practice to bring home a bottle when one leaves Haiti.  Perhaps we can all share a drink upon my return.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is something else -- your very brave to be there and do what you are doing. we just eat our food here and dont think twice. That rum sounds dangerous!! :) We will have the booze awaiting your return!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the video blog. The sidewalk shops remind me of curios!!! I would want to stop at all of them. The paintings look very interesting. Keep updating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can't wait to hear more. We are so proud of you

    ReplyDelete