Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Matilec

Matinec
As uneventful as last week was, there were a couple of high points.  One was last Thursday when Simone and myself decided to visit the local hardware store, Matilec.  Actually, I don't know if you could consider it a high point, maybe just an event worth noting.

It all starts last Thursday morning.  It started out simple enough with the usual activities: breakfast, wash up, brush teeth and then go to make my bed.  For some reason, the mosquito net this time around decided to fall apart.  I'm actually not sure how it originally was put together, because when I examined the damage, the only pieces I could find were a metal ring (which held the net) and a screw hanging from the ceiling.  After many fruitless attempts to put it together, I decided I needed some new hardware.  I decided to adventure out to the local hardware store to obtain the necessary components.

Matilec is located a couple blocks north of the office.  Thursday over the noon hour I headed up to the store and brought Simone with me (for translation).  Matilec is a four story hardware store, much like an Ace back in Sioux Falls, except the display area is much smaller.  It's set up with retail displayed throughout the first floor space.  Although nothing is organized in any sort of meaningful or practical manner, Simone and myself were able to find the hooks with relative ease.  I then went to a floor worker (as indicated by his yellow polo) and asked to purchase "one hook."  He understood once Simone translated. 

Waiting in Line for the Teller
We then followed him to his computer, which looked like something NASA used for the Apollo XIII mission.  He printed off a slip of paper on his 80's paper (you know, the kind with the perferated edges and makes a screeching sound when it prints).  He handed me the paper and pointed me to the teller.  I examined the slip as I walked over, all I could understand was the 1.75 on the bottom.  1.75 can mean anything in Haiti, goude, Haitian dollar or American dollar.  I went to the teller, which was similar to a ticket counter at a ballgame.  I handed her the slip and spoke through the hole in the glass.  Apparently the total was 1 goude, which is equivalent to about 2 1/2 cents.  I was then given another slip of paper (this time yellow) and had to take it to another counter where I would receive my purchase.

The Hook
I walked over to the next counter, which was full of people.  I held out my yellow slip, desperately trying to get the attention of the worker.  I felt like a guy on wall street trying to purchase the next hot stock.  After about 15 minutes I got through, handed the paper.  The guy then signaled through a walkie-talkie to someone else (I presume on another floor) because almost instantly I saw a bucket attached to a rope behind him shoot skyward.  A few moments later it dropped back downward, with my hook in it.  He handed to me and the ordeal was over. 

Goods in Haiti have such a variance in pricing compared to the United States.  One could go to the grocery store and easily spend $8 on a box of Frosted Flakes or $10 on a quart of ice cream, and then turn around and spend $.02 on a coat hook.  I wondered how the Matilec could ever afford to pay everyones salaries on such low prices, especially since I had to go through 4 employees to spend that .02.

Later that night, I went home to install the hook, proceeded to break it off in the ceiling and we got to do the whole thing over again the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment